I meet the nicest people in Graveyards. They are usually women walking their dogs or keeping loved one's graves tidy. It happened again in Natchez. I was taking a break from touring houses. Meandering around the Natchez City Cemetery, a lady walking her two dogs saw me reading the epitaphs and starting pointing out humorous and unusual writings on certain graves. She was about my age and after she gave me the low down on the most interesting graves to see she told me a little about herself and hoped I did not mind that she popped into my evening to give me a tour. I assured her it was welcomed and appreciated. Later she invited me to dinner in two days time and she would introduce me to a couple of her friends who owned a bed and breakfast there. Later I received an email from her confirming the time and her address for the little dinner party. My dinner companions turned out to be pleasant, genuinely nice people who all had good senses of humor. I got to see the absolutely beautiful bed and breakfast. My hostess had a pretty home right on Main St. Natchez. I ended the evening with a walk with her and her cute little dogs. I would be leaving Natchez soon and she was getting ready to go on a trip so we said goodbye. Maybe we will be in touch in the future even if its just a emailed HI. So don't rule out including graveyards in your itinerary. You will not only see beautiful sculptures and stately trees but get an idea of what was going on in certain years whether it was the plague or TB or war. Some were victims of mine disasters and some were mortally hurt on cattle drives. Graveyards are a wealth of information and art. I meet people usually in the early evening. I never see very many people during the day in a cemetery. If you walk in the late evening I can't guarantee the person you might be talking to is of real flesh and blood!
New Orleans is next ....

No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave your comments on my posts or any travel story you would like to share. I'd love to hear them.